Namu Amida Butsu

This work is especially dedicated to Zuiken Saizo Inagaki, who sheds light on the pristine and original teachings of Jodo Shinshu (Shin Buddhism) for many people, including myself. I regard him as my soul teacher and I am very much influenced by his words and thoughts, which are deeply imbued with the Wisdom of Compassion of Amida Buddha. I read most of his writings available in Chinese language and I wish to share some of his golden words in this blog in English. Rev. George Gatenby and Mr. Gabriel Schlaefer have been kindly and untiringly assisting me to edit the translated essays so that they are readable and true to the intent of Sensei. May all partake of the wisdom of Shinshu teaching and be overpowered by the light of Amida Buddha.

Namu Amida Butsu!

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Shinjin Sho-in

Shinjin sho-in says it clearly that shinjin is the true cause of birth, nothing can be imparted.
What is shinjin? It's the mind that entrusts to "birth through the Vow-power." This is the mind that responds to or heeds the call of the great compassion of "Just as you are!", "I will take you there!", "definitely save you!" and "No worry!"
In our deep gratitude and joy over our settling of life-and-death matter by the Tathagata for us, we say the nembutsu of gratitude (shyomyo hoon). This nembutsu is not forced by self-power, it's the working of Amida Buddha. Our Shonin says, "Saying the Name is itself mindfulness; mindfulness is nembutsu; nembutsu is Namo Amida Butsu." So, what we say or hear, all return to the source, Namo Amida Butsu! All but the call of Amida Buddha.
An old poem sings,
"Though I hear and say Namo Amida Butsu
It's none other than the compassionate call of the Oyasama to us, "I take you there!"
Gassho
Zuizen Melvin

No comments:

Post a Comment