Namu Amida Butsu

This work is especially dedicated to Zuiken Saizo Inagaki, who sheds light on the pristine and original teachings of Jodo Shinshu (Shin Buddhism) for many people, including myself. I regard him as my soul teacher and I am very much influenced by his words and thoughts, which are deeply imbued with the Wisdom of Compassion of Amida Buddha. I read most of his writings available in Chinese language and I wish to share some of his golden words in this blog in English. Rev. George Gatenby and Mr. Gabriel Schlaefer have been kindly and untiringly assisting me to edit the translated essays so that they are readable and true to the intent of Sensei. May all partake of the wisdom of Shinshu teaching and be overpowered by the light of Amida Buddha.

Namu Amida Butsu!

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Essay 16


Just Buddha and me –
Father and son,
Mutually dependent for life.

The “true and real mind” of the Tathagata is genuine yet weighty, weighty yet genuine. The “sense-perceptions” and “discriminations” of foolish beings (bombu) are false yet light, light yet false. You must not go without distinguishing between light and heavy.

When you think, design and calculate in that little mind of yours, neither Amida Buddha nor the Name of the Primal Vow will “be at home”! If they are “not at home,” your birth in the Pure Land will fail.

When your eyes are on the Buddha, Buddha-Power, and Buddha-Vow, forgetting not even for a second, this is called accepting the trusting heart (shinjin) reverently. “I have put down this body heavily bound by evil karma” is the feeling implied.

On my part, in any case it is just the home of muddy bombu. So there is no need to worry even if I am “not at home.”  The home of the Tathagata is the home of the Original Teacher, the Dharma-king; when the home of the Dharma-king is established, there is peace—there is great peace.

Zuiken Sama

No comments:

Post a Comment