Namu Amida Butsu

This work is especially dedicated to Zuiken Saizo Inagaki, who sheds light on the pristine and original teachings of Jodo Shinshu (Shin Buddhism) for many people, including myself. I regard him as my soul teacher and I am very much influenced by his words and thoughts, which are deeply imbued with the Wisdom of Compassion of Amida Buddha. I read most of his writings available in Chinese language and I wish to share some of his golden words in this blog in English. Rev. George Gatenby and Mr. Gabriel Schlaefer have been kindly and untiringly assisting me to edit the translated essays so that they are readable and true to the intent of Sensei. May all partake of the wisdom of Shinshu teaching and be overpowered by the light of Amida Buddha.

Namu Amida Butsu!

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

The Sounds of Horai (Dharma thunder), No. 40

What can I do so that I can be born there? What shall I become so that I can be born there? For bombu, who is helpless in any case, “What can I do” is not worth saying. “Just as you are!” Be born there “just as you are!" [Even so,] it is useless to simply say “just as you are.” What is meant by saying, “Just as you are?" You cannot know the taste of “just as you are” without having spent 10 to 20 years time awakening. “Just as you are” is the Primal Vow-power. The people who seek to acquire faith for birth or say the nembutsu for birth do not understand “just as you are.” The thoughts of bombu are delusion, and there is no mind beside delusion. The Pure Land is not a place we can go by thinking that we can go there. Birth in the Pure Land is the calculation of the inconceivable Buddha-wisdom. Don’t you find bombu being born there “just as they are” inconceivable? The Buddha’s mind, the Buddha’s Power and the Primal Vow-power -- they are entirely inconceivable! The Primal Vow of the Name is inconceivable, the Tathagata is inconceivable! To trust and revere the inconceivability is the inconceivable shinjin. To affirm that “there is no mind beside delusion,” to relinquish the self-powered miscellaneous and mixed practices, and to be inclined to trust and revere the Other-power of the Primal Vow is shinjin.


No comments:

Post a Comment